Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The ZGXP (Part 4 - The Calm Between Storms)

Missed a week of updates for ZeeGee. Last week I worked on bug quashing on our internal project. I'd moved off the Reader since we got the final changes for our implemented and sent off to Apple for review the prior week. We had to go through several iterations with the client, but the product ended up being something we are proud of and the client is excited about.

We just heard today that we'll be getting more comics from the client for the Reader app next week. The process of getting the pages into the app requires several steps. Someone (generally me) first has to downsize the .jpgs for each page to a size that will look good on the iPhone but also not bloat the filesize of our app too much. I then need to draw boxes around each of the panels on the images using a proprietary tool. Once the panels are traced they show up in the app on the iPhone. The user can flip through the panels using swipe gestures on the touch screen.

Once we hammered out that pipeline and made some adjustments to the proprietary tool, it took me about a minute per page to create the panels depending on the complexity of the page. The previous issue we had been working on had 34 pages. Today we heard we'll be getting more three more volumes of the manga for a total around 540 pages. Soo... that will be a bit more work. Given that we'd get this drop next Monday, I estimated I could have the first draft of the panels done by the end of next Wednesday and the final product shipped to Apple by the end of Friday.

It won't be too bad, really. The process should be basically the same. If I can my hands on a few test pages before next week, I can figure out the filesize we need and save time on that. Also, another project could be wrapping up and allow me to nab an artist to help with the paneling. Looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment